I am a Ph.D. student at the Personal Robotics Lab, Imperial College London. My research interests cover many aspects of learning algorithms applied to physical robots. In particular, this includes human-robot interaction, assistive robotics, manipulation, sim2real transfer learning, among others.
Currently, I am focusing on personalised robot-assisted dressing. My past research includes dexterous manipulation with underactuated hands and preoperative planning for surgical robots.
More information about personalized robot-assisted dressing can be found here.
I would like to thank Dr. Yanyu Su and Dr. Antoine Cully in particular. Dr. Yanyu Su led me into the world of robotics. Dr. Antoine Cully is helping me so much in my early stage of PhD studies.
- Aug 2019 – In the Press: Robotic Nurse That Helps You Dress Could Aid Staff Shortage on Bloomberg, The Times, Daily Mail, Telegraph, South China Morning Post.
- July 2019 – The video of my talk about robot-assisted dressing at IET event Human Motion Analysis for Healthcare Applications is online now: https://tv.theiet.org/?eventvideoid=13345
- May 2019 – Abstract accepted to IET Conference Human Motion Analysis for Healthcare Applications!
Fan Zhang, Antoine Cully, Yiannis Demiris. Probabilistic Real-Time User Posture Tracking using Visual and Haptic Information for Robot-Assisted Dressing, IET Conference Human Motion Analysis for Healthcare Applications.
- Mar 2019 – Paper accepted to IEEE Transactions on Robotics!
Fan Zhang, Antoine Cully, Yiannis Demiris. Probabilistic Real-Time User Posture Tracking for Personalized Robot-Assisted Dressing, IEEE Transactions on Robotics.
- Jun 2017 – Abstract accepted to The 2nd UK Robot Manipulation Workshop!
Fan Zhang, Antoine Cully, Yiannis Demiris. Personalized Robot-assisted Dressing using User Modeling in Latent Spaces, The 2nd UK Robot Manipulation Workshop, UK.
- Jun 2017 – Paper accepted to IROS 2017!
Fan Zhang, Antoine Cully, Yiannis Demiris. Personalized Robot-assisted Dressing using User Modeling in Latent Spaces, IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2017), Canada.
- Jan 2017 – Paper accepted to ICRA 2017!
Fan Zhang, Zhiyuan Yan, Zhijiang Du. Preoperative Planning for the Multi-arm Surgical Robot using PSO-GP-based Performance Optimization, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2017), Singapore.
- Aug 2016 – Best Student Paper Award!
My paper “Preoperative Setup Planning for Robotic Surgery Based on a Simulation Platform and Gaussian Process” has been selected as the Best Student Paper of International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation (ICMA 2016), China.
- Jul 2016 – Best Msc Thesis Award!
My Msc thesis has been selected as Best Msc Thesis Award of Harbin Institute of Technology, 2016 (<10%)
- Jun 2015 – Paper accepted to IROS 2015!
Fan Zhang, Yanyu Su, Xiang Zhang, Wei Dong, Zhijiang Du. An Under-actuated Manipulation Controller Based on Workspace Analysis and Gaussian Processes, IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2015), Germany.